Back to News

Car decals will be required across base

The entire Joint Base to include McChord will require car decals for entry

Recommend Article
Total Recommendations (0)
Clip Article Email Article Print Article Share Article

Starting Oct. 1, 2010, all vehicles entering Joint Base Lewis-McChord, McChord Field must have current Department of Defense decals. Retirees, Air Force active-duty and reserve personnel, and civil servant personnel, as well as all dependants, can obtain vehicle decals at a number of locations. On McChord Field, you can stop by the Visitor Control Center adjacent to the McChord Field Main Gate, the Pass and Registration office in the Customer Service Mall in Bldg. 100, or speak with your unit's vehicle decal monitor. Everyone is also welcome to obtain vehicle decals from JBLM Main, at either Waller Hall or the Main Visitor Control center adjacent to the Liberty Gate. Beginning Aug. 1, civilian contractors can obtain vehicle passes at the McChord Field Visitor Control Center or the Pass and Registration office.

The following documents are required in order to be issued a vehicle decal: current military ID, current driver's license, current vehicle registration, current proof of insurance, and a current Washington State Emission Control Testing Certificate (for vehicles between the ages of 5 to 25 years) regardless of location or state of registration.

The only exceptions to the emission certificate are: vehicles registered within a WA emission control area that mandates emission testing as a requirement for Wash. state vehicle registration, which is determined by your zip code; military retirees who don't work or reside on Joint Base Lewis-McChord; hybrid vehicles with an EPA city fuel economy rating of at least 50 MPG; and motorcycles or mopeds.

You can obtain specific information regarding emissions testing in the WA Emission Phamplet.  The closest Vehicle Emission inspection facility is in Lakewood.  The Station #12 Lakewood Washington State Emission Inspection Facility can be reached at (253) 581-5243.

As a reminder, vehicle registration decals are accountable items and must be returned to Security Forces when replacing the windshield, selling the vehicle, leaving military service, or your affiliation with the military is terminated. The decal must be permanently attached to the exterior of the windshield located either at the top center or driver's side of the windshield, and must be readily visible without obstructing the driver's view.

For more information, please contact Pass and Registration at 982-1995. Additional information can also be found at

Sign up for our free newsletter

Comments for "Car decals will be required across base" (1)

Weekly Volcano is not responsible for the content of these comments. Weekly Volcano reserves the right to remove comments at their discretion.

User Photo

Joe said on Jan. 10, 2011 at 12:25pm

The DoD needs to either make all base vehicles require stickers or get rid of all of them across the board (AF, Army, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard).

This is really annoying for AF people who travel to other service's installations for work (PCS move or TDY lodging) or recreational purposes (shopping, Space-A lodging, visiting friends,etc...).

In addition, it's confusing reading about the AF removing the stickers across the board in 2007, and reading about certain AF bases who still require them today for in and out-of-state vehicles (i.e. Travis AFB, CA). At Travis, they simply transferred responsibility for issuing stickers from the base cops to the base environmental office (CA Air Quality concerns).

Leave A Comment

(This will not be published)


Respond on Your Blog

If you have a Weekly Volcano Account you can not only post comments, but you can also respond to articles in your own Weekly Volcano Blog. It's just another way to make your voice heard.

Site Search