Back to Music

HIP-HOP IN THE 25360: Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless

Plus: The second annual 25360 Awards

Afrok is up for MC and Song of the Year,

Recommend Article
Total Recommendations (0)
Clip Article Email Article Print Article Share Article

Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless will be held Saturday, Jan. 30, 4-10 p.m., at The Loft on Cherry in Olympia. It continues to thrive as an annual event that focuses on the increasing numbers of the homeless nation and raises food, clothing, resources and funding for the homeless and needy of Thurston, Pierce, Mason and Lewis counties and beyond.

Olympia has become the headquarters and hosting grounds for Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless and annually puts on a benefit to aid those in need. In 2008 Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless raised more than $3,000 in resources including clothing, food and funds that were distributed amongst Puget Sound shelters, community resource centers and food banks.

Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless was established in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia, by an awesomely responsible, conscious and active community of hip-hoppers. Vancouver was and continues to experience a social challenge with problem of drug addiction, homelessness and crime, which are cyclical in their plague on lives and communities.

Here is the lineup scheduled to perform at the all ages Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless benefit:

Junkyard Gang [360]

Wojack [253]

Jace/Ecaj [Silent Lambs Project/Black Stax] [206]

Afrok [360]

Jay Barz [253]

Josh Rizeberg [253]

Asliani [360/617/Boston]

Night Fox [360]

XP [360]

DJ Drastick [360]

DJ Turtledove [360]

DJ Slimrock [360]

DJ Dr. Rob [310]

The 25360 Awards

Once again  - a flash in the pan ain't what it is. ...  Last year's awards sparked some conversation and some controversy - it's your thang. Here are the updated 2009 Nominees for The 25360 Awards. Add your suggestions by emailing us and voting at hiphop@weeklyvolcano.com.

MC of The Year - Jay Barz, XP, Afrok and J-Mar Da Sik

DJ of The Year - DJ Drastic, DJ Hawkskee and DJ Dragonfish Killswitch

Man of The Year - Eddie Sumlin, Lawrence Stone and Todd Denny

Woman of The Year - Stella Haioulani and Hilary Hacker

Promoter of The Year - Homeland Security, Crowd Control and Gerzee

Album of The Year - Be A G About It (J-Mar), Where In The World Is Taylor Jones (Junkyard Gang) and Truth & Medizine Muzik (Savage Family)

Song of The Year - "'80s Baby" - LA Swagga, "Shine Like Diamonds" - Afrok

Video of The Year - ?

Producer of The Year - Big Squigg, Jacob Cundy

Best Come Up - Afrok

Best New Artist - LA Swagga, Night Fox

Hustla of The Year - Jay Barz (Can't stop... Won't stop!)

Nightclub of The Year - The Royal (Olympia) and Masa (Tacoma)

Organization of The Year - Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless, The Center for Community Based Learning and Action, Hip-Hop Congress (Evergreen Chapter)

Best Radio Show/Host - DJ Kalambre (KAOS), DJ Luvva J (KAOS) and DJ La Pointe (KAOS)

Model of The Year - Miss Lady

Best Athlete - Jonathan Stewart (Carolina Panthers)

Best Music/Vinyl Shop - Rainy Day Records (Olympia)

Best Eatery - Old School Pizza, The Fish House Café, The Teriyaki Spot in Tillicum

Remember you can add your nominee and this list can change in moments.

Please submit additional nominees for The 25360 Awards via Hiphop@weeklyvolcano.com.  The award recipients will be announced at The 2010 Hip-Hop for The Homeless Benefit on Saturday Jan. 30 at The Loft on from 4-10 p.m.  The benefit recommends a $5 donation for entry or canned foods and/or clothing items to benefit those in need.

Until next time... Stay up!  PEACE.

Winners Train, Losers Complain... Do Yo' Thang!!!

Peace & Love

Jose S. Gutierrez Jr. aka DJ LUVVA J is an award-winning editor, writer, producer, educator, music director and consultant.  A graduate of Washington State University and student at The Evergreen State College, he writes and edits the Pacific Northwest section of Ozone Magazine and hosts and produces Live From I-5 Radio (since '89) every Friday at 3 p.m. on KAOS 89.3 FM (www.kaosradio.org / Comcast Ch. 982 / TCTV Ch. 22) in Olympia.

Read next close

Music

So you want to record a record

Comments for "HIP-HOP IN THE 25360: Hip-Hop 4 The Homeless " (16)

Weekly Volcano is not responsible for the content of these comments. Weekly Volcano reserves the right to remove comments at their discretion.

Lady Red said on Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:16pm

if Drastic doen't win dj...yall are SLEEPIN!!!!

Raul aka Ra((H))uL said on Jan. 17, 2010 at 9:55am

Afrok: Down the line...Matter of fact. 4 votes each on behalf of Me, The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit!!!

Rebecca Bowman said on Jan. 17, 2010 at 3:03pm

I would like to cast my vote for Afrok for the three categories listed; 1) Best coming up 2)Best song of the year (Shine Like Diamonds) 3) Best MC of the year. I am having technical difficulties casting my vote in the suggested way...so I do hope this is acceptable. Thank you very much

angela said on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:56pm

please make this page easier to find from the weekly volcano homepage! it's a ridiculously long link to tell/send to some one, plus everyone i've just sent to the volcano's page can't find it because the music link or columns link are small and difficult to locate. please make this page more accessible!!

angela said on Jan. 20, 2010 at 3:20pm

also you should add links to the artists web pages. if you want this to be a big deal you should promote it like one.

molly said on Jan. 20, 2010 at 7:46pm

Hilary Hacker is awesome, totally amazing woman and I completely support her. Go girl! She works for immigrant issues, organizes great events and is great to work with.

rockwell powers said on Jan. 21, 2010 at 2:16pm

the awards list is a joke. how can an emcee that doesn’t put out a project or even play that many shows be emcee of the year? how can an emcee that doesn’t get out of oly be come up artist of the year? how are evergreen one or myself, who have both played like over 40 shows in Tacoma and Seattle and other parts of the state not up for new artists. and honestly ill just say it, how if this writer really has his ears to the northwest hip-hop community, is my album "kids in the back," which has gotten buzz statewide and acclaimed by major hip-hop journalist in Seattle and Tacoma not up for album of the year.... its cool if a group of friends want to get together and pat themselves on the back, but presenting it in the volcano as if this really is a legit list is ridiculous.

Bobby Johnson said on Jan. 21, 2010 at 2:56pm

This list is a joke! Are you guys serious? I mean, come on! Really? This should be called the 36Nobody gives a f*** list.

JS Gutierrez Jr. said on Jan. 21, 2010 at 4:55pm

That's DOPE of you... Rockwell Powers and Bobby Johnson... Criticism and Dissent are ALWAYS welcome! However, rather than belittle the list and waste time disrespecting other nominees (chosen by readers, fans and the people)... Why not nominate yourself if you and Evergreen One are premier artists in The 25360? Do that... In fact, Evergreen One IS a nominee. I have no reservations about the list... It was compiled by people who actually read The Weekly Volcano and/or their fans/supporters put their names up... Every MC and DJ on the list is tried and true so I am wondering who 'doesn't have their ear to the street in the Northwest'? And who do you think doesn't belong on the list? ...Add your name to the list of nominees, have your manager do it or shut it down, because freedom of speech is welcome, but complaining has got to go... The voting and nominations continue through January 25th... DO SOMETHING...

JS Gutierrez Jr. said on Jan. 21, 2010 at 5:08pm

Generally speaking... I founded The 25360 Awards as a way to recognize artists from this small area, because with all of the talent here there has ALWAYS been a historic lack of business acumen, lack of support/unity for fellow Hip-Hop artists, and failure to acknowledge each other... Aside from Nasty Mix which repped Tacoma and Seattle, The 25360 has struggled with defeating haterism, failed to support each other and recognize its own pioneers... I come from and proudly represent The '80s... The Crack Era... The '90s... The Zulu Nation... The Temple of Hip-Hop... The Hilltop... The Eastside/Salishan... The '00s AND Olympia -The beginnings of Hip-Hop in our area... If you don't know Wojack, Criminal Nation, K-Swiss, 4 Real, Slo Poke, The Real Deal Posse, Mr. D.O.G., Way Out Records, Black Anger, Nasty Nes, Young Havenot, KFOX, K Records, Tilson, High Performance and/or The TA Crew that's what the awards represent... ACKNOWLEDGEMENT in Hip-Hop creativity/business/respect and The 25360 Awards is here for cats who want to uplift Tacoma, Olympia and our surrounding cities... Oh yeah... In the process The 25360 is meant to call out, shine the light on and identify ALL haters... DOPE.

Winnes Train, Losers Complain... Do Yo' Thang...

J!

JS Gutierrez Jr. said on Jan. 21, 2010 at 5:19pm

Ay, Rockwell... I need a copy of your album, mayn! Email it to me or you can send it... I couldn't nominate it, because I haven't received it or heard it. I haven't received it at The Weeky Volcano, KAOS Radio, Ozone Magazine, Stash Magazine or any of the media outlets that I work with - personal thing... Hit me with it so I can at least give you some love on the radio (need clean edits for that)... If I had it, I'd support it by at least letting the radio heads decide what they think... Stay up. J!

PS. I respect the MC questions... And I reply by saying, 'every artist on the nominee list has traveled outside of The 25360... This much I KNOW. And I don't think you need an album to be a dope MC. If you rock the party/stage, that's a dope MC to me... If you can keep the crowd's attention and command them... That's a dope MC to me... If you're a dope MC... YOU'RE A DOPE MC... The people have ALWAYS decided that. Peace.

Chriz said on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:48pm

Love the list. Afrock is the ish. Most people complain because they'd rather here
hip- hop that degrades and dissolves truth. I'm all for metaphors and hard stories, but tell me something real. Use the voice to speak not shout or whine, use the ears to appreciate not just to listen and discount. If there is growth in understanding, then listen understand and grow the hell up. One

Est. said on Jan. 31, 2010 at 12:52am

Afrok put it down, nearly swept the house, and deserved that MC of the year award as well as the others he got. Night Fox took best New Artist which, evidenced by the ridiculous show they did soon after, was totally deserved. They melted my face...I still can't find it...

JimBob said on Jan. 31, 2010 at 10:08am

Your gonna be Rock Star! All you guys Andy, Sunny, Jim ( put it to it!),Chris,The Bassist (sorry dude ) James. You have taught me alot bout life and bout following you dreams. Its your voice but those are Gods words. Honestly I fought back tears the whole time dude. That was really emotional for me. Keep doin whatcha doin. See ya at the next show!

jimerzboberz said on Jan. 31, 2010 at 11:14am

Jim and Be-Bub, 26 years ago in March you brought this fine young God Loving, truth speaking MAN into this world and We but espeically Me, Love and appericiate you for it! James Thank You and I thank god for the sight I get to see and the sounds I get to hear. Kara,Sunny,Lanessa,Jesse,The Kids, Jason,Andy,Vince,Chris,all of you that stood behind him........ dont stop!

Cj Whitekiller said on Feb. 01, 2010 at 11:30am

For my first time going to this event, it was pretty friggen awesome. My mom was a homeless woman and events like this really helped her out in time of need, which was all the time. I really enjoyed this event, plus i got to help out afterwards, and see th effects of it. It really touched my heart to see people getting help that is truley needed. And it was also nice to help out. I hope this event continues every year and make a big difference like it has been. May God bless people like hilary and everyone that helped out in this event. I can't wait till next year!!! hope to see more people there next year. God bless and peace out!!